Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father ... James 1:17

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Caps for Sale

Have y'all read this book? It was one of the favs around here for quite some time, so we read it over and over. I feel like the peddler carrying my hats on top of my head - not to sell, just to balance and wear. In the book there is a little peddler man that has a stack of hats on his head "first he had on his own checked cap, then a bunch of gray caps, then a bunch of brown caps, then a bunch of blue caps, and on the very top a bunch of red caps." I feel like I add 'caps' to my head all day and then try to balance them so they don't fall off "first she has on her own Jamey cap, then her wife cap, then her momma cap, then her serving others cap, then her homeschool cap, and on the very top her adoption cap" Wow, my neck is sore :)
While my heart is really tied up in our adoption journey right now - I am also trying to get ready for school. I have finally come to terms with the fact that one of my children really needs help with reading... I mean focused help!! So, I am researching reading programs and now I feel like I need to add another cap - the help me cap. I have found two interesting websites but I don't know if either are what I really need. Any chance anyone has heard of or used: Toe by Toe (by Keda Cowling) or HEC Discover Intensive Phonics Reading Horizons (different that Alpha Omega Horizon Phonics program)? Both are 'Highly Structured Intensive Phonics programs, and both have parental reviews that rave about them. Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. my advice is you need a neck rub and a pedicure! I know what you mean about your hats...its what makes you such a good mom! Praying for your family and the start of school and the new family member who already lives in your heart! :) fun being with you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Whit over there!! You know that I am no help in the wearing many hats department-----al my organization skills can be learned in my upcoming class, friend. :)

    Phonics- not my best subject either.

    You are welcome. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete