Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father ... James 1:17

Thursday, February 4, 2010

What are you going to do about it?


Many of you are familiar with this wonderful book, "The Hole in Our Gospel". I read it numerous months ago, but my mind keeps going back to many of the things I read in it. They have been swimming around in my head, I have been praying about them to God and I have been journalling about what God wants from me. Here is the question that really grabbed me. "What are you going to do about it?"

From Hole in Our Gospel:
"The question for us is whether we are willing to make that commitment - to live and act differently, and to repair the hole in our own gospel ... one who is determined to be the gospel to the world around him, it involves an intentional decision. It doesn't just happen. We won't really become change agents for Christ just by going to church every Sunday. We will have to make some "on purpose" life choices and then change our priorities and behavior. Only then can God transform us and use us to change the world. In the end God works in our world one person at a time...just one person at a time. You have the opportunity to be that person to someone who needs what YOU have to offer."
"What are YOU going to do about it?"
"What is God asking of you?"
"Are you willing?"


"But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." James 2:18
Over the past year we have been asked numerous times - Why adoption? Why Ethiopia? Why siblings? I personally have struggled to articulate the calling God has given our family. I love these words from Pastor John Thomas of Fish Hoeck Baptist Church in South Africa. When asked about the AIDS ministry of this church, Pastor Thomas said:
"This was not something we chose. It is something God put in our path. Wherever He leads, we will follow."
I pray this is true of the Porter Family ... wherever You lead, LORD, we will follow!

3 comments:

  1. yall are a beautiful example of Christ's love...and encouraging to those around you. Im blessed to call you friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh if only people would simply do what the Lord places before them- acting in faith that He will provide for every need! I love your family and the way that you are stepping out in faith. You can't help all 147, but oh the difference you will make in the lives of the 2+? kiddos you bring home. Not the mention the multiple seeds you are planting along the way, causing other families like your to question, "can we do this?"

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just checking on yall, love your new verse of the week :)

    ReplyDelete